The attendance of all students eligible to attend school on a regular and continuing basis is considered to be an important element in an effective learning program. All students are expected to attend classes on a regular basis in accordance with the provisions of Education Law related to school attendance (see attendance terms/definitions).
- A pupil who is absent from school must provide a written explanation, signed by a parent, to the Health Office when he/she returns to school. The Health Office will then record the pupil's attendance stating the exact reason for the absence. Please be sure that the pupil's first and last name appear and are legible.
- Any pupil who is absent from school is required to make up the missed work that was assigned during his/her absence.
- PLEASE CALL THE ATTENDANCE VOICE MAILBOX FOR YOUR CHILDS BUILDING AT THE NUMBER LISTED BELOW IF YOUR CHILD WILL BE ABSENT OR TARDY. IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE KNOW THAT YOUR CHILD IS SAFELY AT HOME!
|ELEMENTARY SCHOOL ATTENDANCE VOICE MAILBOX: || (716)542-5007|
|MIDDLE SCHOOL ATTENDANCE VOICE MAILBOX: || (716)542-5008|
|HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDANCE VOICE MAILBOX: || (716)542-5009|
- Legal Absence - This absence is due to personal illness, death or illness in the family, court appearance, religious observance, quarantine or attendance at a health clinic.
- Illegal Absence - The parent or guardian is aware of the reason for the students absence or tardiness. The reason for the absence or tardiness is not one of those listed as legal or truancy. Vacations taken by families at times other than the regularly scheduled recess breaks by the school district calendar are considered illegal absences.
- Truancy - The parent or guardian sends the student to school, attempts to get the student to school, and expects the student to be in school, but the student misses all or part of the day.
- Tardiness - A student who reports to school after 8:10 a.m. is considered tardy and must report to the office for an admit slip. The student must be signed in by a parent or guardian and is required to bring in a note, or the tardiness will be recorded as illegal.
- Suspension - A student is removed from school for a specific number of days because of frequent disregard of school rules and regulations. Days of suspension shall be counted as absences in the application of this policy.
NOTE: Absence from school due to participation in school-sponsored activity (field trip, musical event, athletic trip, etc.) is not considered as an absence. Prior notice of the event will be sent home.